We are currently recruiting a full-time Forest Planner, to undertake the assessment and design and production of Forestry Grant Scheme (FGS) applications, with a focus on woodland creation and Forest plans.
This position will cover the South West Scotland region, and will involve regular travel to various sites as part of the role. Location of work can be flexible for the right candidate and remote working may be possible, however a presence in the regional office will be required.
- Conduct basic site and desktop survey techniques to collect, analyse and interpret data using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Global Positioning Systems (GPS), aerial photography, public records and maps.
- Undertake the preparation of FGS application documentation including the preparation of high-quality digital visualisations and maps.
- Engage and provide strong communication with Scottish Forestry and Scottish Woodlands Ltd colleagues to ensure proposals comply with regulations and compliment management objectives and practical implementation.
- Coordinate external specialist surveyors, stakeholder engagement & public consultation.
- Undertake a range of casework including Forest Management Plans, Felling Licences, Plant health notices, tree surveys, prior notification applications and Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA).
This is a busy and demanding role where you must be capable of working autonomously and as part of a highly motivated professional team. You will be competent in the use of IT, specifically Microsoft Office applications such as Word and Excel and have demonstrable knowledge of Geographical Information Systems (GIS). You should be able to demonstrate excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills. To be successful in this role you will be professional and confident in your approach to work, able to work to tight deadlines and targets, be self-motivated and have exceptional attention to detail.
Ideally you will have a forestry related qualification at HND level or above however, candidates with related land-based qualifications and/or experience are also encouraged to apply. Experience of working in a similar role in the Forestry sector and a sound knowledge of silviculture and the Forestry Grant scheme is desirable but not essential as full training will be provided.
Since this role involves site visits to very remote locations, a full valid driver’s licence is essential.
Scottish Woodlands offers an attractive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience. This includes:
- Company vehicle
- Permanent health insurance
- Pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Life assurance
- Opportunity for equity participation in a company 80% owned by staff
- Excellent personal and career development opportunities
Applications should be made online through our applicant tracking system. To apply click HERE
For any queries relating to the role or on the application process, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on working with Scottish Woodlands, including our Job Applicant Privacy Notice, please visit the careers section of our website: